- March 1, 2024
The Early Days
G&B Energy’s roots date back to 1930. It all started when E.C. Boyles settled in Elkin, NC as an agent for Standard Oil Company (now ExxonMobil). In 1945, Boyles partnered with Phillip Greenwood and named their new venture G&B Oil Company. The partnership lasted for five years until Boyles purchased Greenwood’s interest, once again making G&B a family-owned company.
Fred Eidson, the son-in-law of Boyles, joined the ranks of G&B in 1962. He was assigned with overseeing operations and diversifying the growing company. Under the direction of Eidson, G&B purchased the propane division of Carolina Ice and Fuel in Elkin in 1968. This purchase established G&B’s presence in the propane industry. Seven years later, in 1975, C&J LP Gas in Millers Creek was added as a commissioned agent. This extended propane service to the residential and agricultural customer base in Wilkes County.
In 1976, Boyles retired from day-to-day operations and named Eidson the company’s president.
During the 1980s, G&B purchased the assets of several local oil companies. These included: Alberty Oil in Dobson, Arlington, and Swaim Oil Companies in Jonesville, Home Oil Company in Sparta and Piedmont Natural Gas’ heating oil and gasoline division in Winston-Salem. As a result, this expanded the service area to include all of Surry, Alleghany, Forsyth, Wilkes, and Yadkin counties.
The increasing popularity of convenience stores in the 1980s spurred the development of the G&B Food Mart brand. To meet the demand, the first gas station to convenience store conversion completed in 1987.
In 1990, Jeff Eidson, son of Fred Eidson and grandson of founder E.C. Boyles, was named company president. His responsibility was to lead the company into the 21st century. Fred Eidson stepped down as president and became chairman of the board of directors; a position he still holds today.
The 1990s brought a tremendous amount of growth for both divisions of G&B. New offices were constructed in Pilot Mountain, Sparta and Mills River, NC. Wiseman Oil Company in East Bend and Appalachian Energy in Boone were also added as commissioned agents, extending our service area into the NC mountain regions.
New convenience stores were also constructed in Jonesville, Granite Falls, and Lewisville. These additions brought the convenience store count to 10.
Charity Golf Classic
1993 was the inaugural year of the G&B ENERGY CHARITY GOLF CLASSIC at Cedarbrook Country Club. Over two hundred golfers participated in the event, which raised $15,000 for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and the Yadkin Valley United Fund. To date, the tourney has raised over $325,000 for both funds.
The New Millenium
The new millennium brought on some changes at G&B. The delivery division’s name changed to G&B Energy. The G&B Food Mart brand changed to GB Express. With the name changes, new logos were revealed for both divisions. G&B purchased commissioned agent Appalachian Energy/Hodges Oil in Boone just before the 2000 heating season.
During 2003-2010, LP Gas magazine named G&B Energy to the list of the “Top 30” propane retailers in the nation.
In 2004, G&B purchased Wiseman Oil Company in East Bend. G&B also constructed a new showroom and delivery center in Advance, NC. This allowed G&B to better serve customers in Davie, Forsyth, Yadkin, and northern Davidson counties.
During the winter of 2005, G&B Oil celebrated 75 years as a family-owned company!
In December of 2006, G&B Energy purchased the assets of C&J LP Gas Co. in Millers Creek and converted the facility into a G&B Energy Fireplace Shop and Delivery Office.
In the late Summer of 2007, G&B Oil Company sold five convenience stores to WilcoHess, LLC. This included the Exxon stores in Jonesville, Elkin, Kernersville, Granite Falls, and a Citgo store in East Bend. This sale marked the exit of G&B Oil Co. from the convenience store business.
In Spring 2011, G&B Energy opened a Hearth, Grill and delivery center in Statesville NC.
In late 2012, a new Hearth, Grill, and delivery center opened in Weaverville, NC.